Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Birthday 3 Days Early... Or Why My Roommates Are Awesome

Dear Readers,

As some of you might know, today is my birthday. And I have not been looking forward to it for a few reasons. The biggest reason is that I don't like the idea of turning 28. But more about that later. The other reason I wasn't looking forward to my birthday with happy anticipation is because I was planning to spend it alone. It just so happens that spring break was that week for my roommate Angela, as well as her mom (who's a teacher in Arizona.) They (Angela, Megan, and Momma W.) planned a fun trip to California to visit Angela and Megan's oldest brother and his year-old son whom they've never met. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge them the time spent with their family. I wanted them to go. It just sucks that it falls on the same week as my much-dreaded birthday. So I resigned myself to ignoring my birthday and spending the week alone. And then I came home from work on Saturday.

And found this...

Small, simple, and touching beyond belief. Also waiting for me was this...



Yes, this picture was taken after we had attacked the cake. We just couldn't wait! In case you can't tell, that's chocolate cake with strawberry frosting. Megan also made a delicious strawberry sugar glaze with real strawberries to drizzle on top. I love strawberries!

So after hanging out for a few minutes I went into my room. I wish I had gotten a photo of what I saw, but you'll just have to make due with my description. My room was full of balloons! They were everywhere...on my bed, on my dresser, covering the floor! And sitting in the middle of my bed was this...


 


What's inside the bag? Thanks for asking! I'll show you!


Awesome! Popcorn, Snickers, Baby Ruth, Twix, Butterfinger, and Tinkerbell socks! And then the girls told me that every balloon in my room had at least one note hidden inside. And so I spent the next I-don't-know-how-long popping balloons to get to the notes! I thought my ears were never going to stop ringing, but this is what I found:
















HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're probably wondering what some of those mean. Well, guess what. So am I! And so are Megan and Angela! It's hard to come up with enough meaningful things to fill all those balloons, so things are bound to get a bit silly. And add in the fact that they were doing this in the middle of the night to keep me from catching on and goofiness reigns supreme! But that's what I love about my roommates. Not every moment has to mean something. And the things that we never thought would become running jokes are sometimes the funniest we have. But if you, dear reader, are perishing with curiosity over one or two of these, leave a comment and I'll do my best to explain.

After dinner and cake my girls and I watched watching the final two episodes of Monk (and finally learned who killed Trudy!) and then they took me Cosmic Bowling. I don't have pics of this, either, but it was a good time. None of us bowl well, but we have a good time making fun of ourselves and the terrible rap music the bowling alley played all night long. And then we came home and watched The Blind Side. (Amazing movie. If you haven't seen it, watch it!) It was a great night with even greater people. I seriously love my roommates!

Who can be lonely with friends like these?
~Your Dreamer

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally stealing that idea sometime... notes in balloons. Just too much fun!!

    ReplyDelete