Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Reasons My Job Search Sucks!

Dear Readers,

In no particular order...

  • There's nothing like filling out the "Special Skills and Achievements" section of an application to make you realize that you have none.
  • We found at least 2 places today that had signs posted exclaiming "Now Hiring!" or "Join Our Team!" and directing us to the company website. When you visit the site you are informed that there are no positions available within 100 miles, and if you choose to fill out an application anyway (to be considered when a position opens) you get a rejection email within seconds of hitting the "Submit" button.
  • I find these personality assessment quizzes ridiculous! Either they ask you the same 5 or 6 questions over and over again for an hour (sometimes worded differently, sometimes not) or they are blatantly accusatory and hostile. I actually had one question ask me "How much have you taken from a job, other than basic office supplies?" and then give me a multiple choice! Seriously?!?
  • Why isn't there a generic job application that you can fill out once, photocopy and then turn in? They all ask the same damn questions and have the same damn disclaimers. Why do I have to get writer's cramp and chip my nail polish filling these things out? Why do I even bother making up a resume? No one ever reads it anyway.
  • No one is hiring! And the places that are have such a deep pool of applicants to pull from that I never even have a chance.
Yeah, that's the list ... for now. My brain has turned to mush and sitting here trying to think of things is just pissing me off all over again.

Destitute and Desperate,
~Your Lonely Dreamer

2 comments:

  1. I know it doesn't resolve the food-on-the-table/roof-overhead issues. But still:

    http://throwgrammarfromthetrain.blogspot.com/2010/10/grammar-checking-shakespeare.html

    ReplyDelete